Please take this time to nominate a J-Town Disc Golf club member for the following positions.
President Vice-President Secretary Treasurer Member Advocate
Individual Board position descriptions are listed below:
1. President a. The President shall chair meetings and special sessions of the Board of Directors. The Secretary and Treasurer shall report to the President. The President participates in the nominating of, and approves, all Staff nominations. b. The President is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with Club sponsors, local players, and other disc golf organizations. President checks and confirms all public communications (monthly newsletters, club flyers, press releases, etc.) before release. c. The President shall have access to the Club’s bank account(s) and other investments, if any, with the expressed approval of the Treasurer.
2. Vice-President a. The Vice President shall chair the Staff-based Operations Team, acting as team leader. b. The Vice President is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with Club sponsors, local players, and other disc golf organizations. The Vice President shall assist the President as needed. c. Any teams or committees created by the Board of Directors shall be managed by the Vice President (or by a delegate appointed by the Vice President if approved by the rest of the Board). d. In the event of the President’s absence, the Vice President shall chair Club meetings.
3. Secretary a. The Secretary shall be responsible for much of the communication of information within the structure of the Club. b. The Secretary shall record and disseminate the agenda, minutes, and notes from monthly and other Club meetings. It shall be the duty of the Secretary to respond to public inquiries, answer appropriate Club email, or forward such communication to the President. c. By nature of the position, the Secretary will need to work closely with the Webmaster or Assistant Webmaster in the combined goal of maintaining clear and consistent communication within the Club and in the eyes of the public. d. The Secretary shall chair Club meetings in the President and Vice President’s absence.
4. Treasurer a. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the financial integrity of the Club. The Treasurer maintains all accounts payable, accounts receivable, sponsorship donations, and other Club investments. b. The Treasurer shall give a comprehensive financial status report at the Club meetings. c. The Treasurer is responsible for filing all appropriate State of Illinois and Federal taxes and fees.
5. Member Advocate a. The Member Advocate is responsible for maintaining a positive relationship between the Board of Directors and the general membership. b. The Member Advocate shall talk with members to come up with member concerns and desired changes in a more informal setting than the general membership meetings. These topics will then be presented at meetings on the member’s behalf, anonymously if desired.
J-Town Disc Golf Club Meeting 27 1/13/14 McDonalds – 4280 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60431 Meeting called to order: 5:00 PM
Members Present: Dean Bingham Frank Grimes Ray Hill Gary Lewis Shawn McCarthy Kristi McCarthy Jason Poole Kevin Schramm Aaron Studer
1) Financials (see attached)
2) Tournament J-Town Logo Use a) Ropes at the Oaks: Passes 8-0 b) IL State Championships: Passes 8-0 c) Channahon Classic: Passes 8-0
3) Club Invitational Date • 9/6/14 pending State Coordinator and park approval
4) Member Rewards • No changes put forward for consideration.
a) Member of the Year Award criteria o Must not be a board member o The board will vote on the recipient o Must be a club member o A member may only win once every five years o A member must have 1000 points (member rewards program) or more to be considered o Points will be considered, but not necessarily the deciding factor. For example, a member having 4000 points spread across multiple categories may be chosen over a member with 6000 points from only one area. o The award will be presented at the Ice Bowl each year
5) Saturday Bag Tags • Avg. 16.56 last session • 111 total sanctioned rounds (club net $30.50) • Raised $631 as of 1/13/14 for the Ice Bowl • Aaron Studer will be stepping-down as the director. J-Town is looking for a member/members to assist with running the Saturday Bag Tags. If the spot is not filled, it will be cancelled. • Thank you, Aaron, for your dedication!
6) 2014 Ice Bowl • Community Park in Channahon • 2/8/14 • PDGA sanctioning/ Insurance forms filed • PDGA Endowment Program paperwork filed and approved • Online pre-registration has been setup on jtowndiscgolf.com • Morning Star Mission will be the charitable beneficiary
7) Open Q&A • There is an interest in scheduling workdays • There is an interest in creating a newsletter, “Why Do I Want to be a J-Town Member?” or “Who is J-Town?”, highlighting what J-Town has done since inception (projects, fund-raising, and other statistical data).
Ace Fund: $5 (Optional) 50/50 CTP: $5 (Optional) * In the event that no eligible players hit an ace, the ace fund will be donated to the Morning Star Mission. * 50% of the CTP fund will be donated to the Morning Star Mission.
All Players must bring 2 non-perishable food items or $5 donation.
All Players who sign up the day of the tournament will be subject to a $5 fee.
Approx 25% of entry fees will be donated to the Morning Star Mission.
First Place winners will receive trophies.
Raffle tickets for sale for prizes.
Free chili, chicken noodle soup, coffee, and hot chocolate.
Registration: 7:30 - 8:30 Players Meeting: 8:45 First Round Tee Time: 9:00
2 Rounds, 18 Holes Short Tees
Field limited to 90 players. Pre-registration options include online registration through the jtowndiscgolf.com, in person at J-Town Bag Tags, or by mail to: J-Town Disc Golf Club P.O. Box 311 Elwood, IL 60421
J-Town Disc Golf Club Meeting 26 11/11/13 5:00 PM McDonalds- 4280 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60431 Meeting called to order: 5:00 PM
Members Present: Dean Bingham Frank Grimes Jason Poole Aaron Studer
1) Financials (see attached) • $682.34 Available for projects • 17 Members qualify for merchandise discount prices. (>1000 Points)
2) Handicap Singles League • 2013 (Prizes $300, Perpetual $9.38, Trophies $50, Party $175) • $2.42 left in Prize/Party will roll over to next year’s league • $68 left in Ace pot will roll over to next year
3) Mid-Season League Changes • No rule changes mid-season. • Any changes must be put on the agenda for a vote at a club meeting. • Motion to add League Change rules passes 4-0
4) Saturday Bag Tags • Avg 15 per week • CTP has raised $474 for the 2014 Ice Bowl
5) Ice Bowl a) 2013 Prize o Gateway Wizzard’s to be priced at $10 (25 Available) o Mini’s to be prices at $2 each or $3 for a nested set. (100 Available) o Motion to set pricing passes 4-0. o All proceeds go to the Ice Bowl fund. Motion passes 3-1.
b) 2014 o Date of 2/8/14 approved by the State Coordinator o Frank to get the date approved by the Channahon Park District. o Jason will get sanctioning, CEP, and IceBowlHQ set up.
6) 2014 Club Invitational • Looking at the dates of 8/9 or 7/19 • Dellwood park if available, Lockport will be the alternate. • Jason Poole-TD, Frank Grimes-Assistant TD
7) Open Q&A • Request for logo use for the Vibram Birdie Bash, date tba. Motion passes 3-0
Most of you who know me, know I’m not much of a speech person, so I’ll try and keep this brief and just thank all the people who got me involved with the volunteering.
First off, I’d like to thank Gary Lewis, for whom this award is aptly named. When I first starting playing disc golf in this area, he was pretty much the only person running tournaments. And they weren’t just your basic tournaments, he ran a very smooth show with all the extras that really make a tournament great. He was the first person that inspired me to help out. I would play one day of his events and would show up the other day to give him a hand.
Secondly, I’d like to thank Jesse. He’s spent countless hours getting courses ready and making sure every little detail that goes into running the biggest and I must say best events get done. Beyond that, he is a great promoter of the game. He’s always encouraging new players to join in leagues and tournaments. Any problems that arise, he manages to handle in a way that makes everyone feel they’ve won. It’s always a pleasure to help him out in any way I can.
Next, I’d like to thank Frank Grimes. I know everyone is always talking about how much time he puts into the courses but until I really got involved, I never really know how much time that actually was. Just look at the number of points he has for the J-Town Disc Golf Club’s Member Reward Program and that doesn’t even include a lot of the work he does out at Channahon and doesn’t want credit for. Even with all the work he puts in, he is still the first guy to give others a big thank you and props for a job well done. It seems like, especially this year, that he’s inspiring a whole new generation of players to help out on the course.
Next, I’d like to thank Ray Hill. He’s another behind the scenes guy who is the inspiration for a lot of what I do. It’s his ideas that often spark some of the more innovative things we do. He was the one that asked the state coordinator for the rights to award the IL USDGC spot which lead us to create the Ropes at the Oaks tournament.
Lastly, I'd like to thank all of the J-Town players who come out to these events and show those running it, your appreciation. A lot of you are willing to step up and help out when it’s needed and it goes a long way towards keeping all these volunteers inspired to keep going. Thank you.
J-Town Disc Golf Club Meeting 25 9/9/13 5:00 PM Community Park, Channahon, IL
Meeting called to order: 5:00 PM
Members Present: Rob Gibson Frank Grimes Patrick Johnson Kristi McCarthy Shawn McCarthy Tim Murray Jason Poole Aaron Studer Dana Vicich
1) Financials (see attached) • 638.34 Available for projects • 14 Members qualify for merchandise discount prices. (>1000 Points)
2) Handicap Singles League a) Awards o Currently have $470.80 in Prize/Party fund. o Estimate $515 at the end of the season. o 2012 (Party $99, Prizes $300, Trophies $50.45, Perpetual $9) 5 Spots 4 Trophies o 2013 (Prizes $300, Perpetual $9, Trophies $55, Party $150+) 5 Spots 4 Trophies Motion for budget approval passes 7-0
3) Saturday Bag Tags • Avg 15 per week • CTP has raised over $300 for the 2014 Ice Bowl a) Sanctioning o 11/2-12/28 (9 Weeks) o Motion to sanction bag tags passes 7-0. o Aaron Studer will be the director; Jason Poole will handle the PDGA setup and reporting.
4) Course Projects • No new projects presented.
5) Ice Bowl a) Last Year’s Prize o Penguin commemorative artwork. Design approval passes 7-0 o Jason to inquire about a larger stamp on the disc. o Jason will handle conversion of artwork and submittal. b) 2014 o Location: Channahon Community Park o Date: 2/8/14 pending park and state coordinator approval. o Aaron Studer will be the Tournament Director; Jason Poole will be the assistant. o Fundraising: Patrick offered to help after Frank requested assistance for fundraising for the 2014 Ice Bowl. Patrick will put out a jar to collect funds. Rob requested that Frank supply the members with a flyer that outlines more information for those who are interested in helping.
6) 2014 Bag Tags a) Order o Jason will modify existing artwork for 2014 and order tags numbered 1-199 and a replacement number 1. o Jason will check with the distributor about the continued availability of our current tag design and will research alternatives if necessary. b) Distribution o Tags 31-199 will be available for purchase at J-Town Fest on 10/19. o Tags 1-30 will be played for on Saturday 1/4 at bag tags. Higher numbered 2014 tags can be exchanged at this event. Please have your 2013 tags with you, as they will be used to break any ties.
7) Member Reward Program • Change wording of Course Cleanup to include TD or Board approved activities without prior advertising.
8) Open Q&A • List of course contacts (compiled by Ray Hill) • Patrick Johnson to start a Friday night Glow League. He would like J-Town affiliation and J-Town assistance if people show interest in playing for tags. Rob will assist with PR when Patrick post on the board that he is officially starting the league – to include schedule and course info.
J-Town Disc Golf Club Meeting 24 07/08/13 5:00 PM Community Park, Channahon, IL
Meeting Called to order: 5:00
Members Present: Aaron Studer Ray Hill Jason Poole Rob Gibson Kevin Schramm Frank Grimes J.D. Bly Todd Bly Shawn McCarthy
1) Financials (see attached) * $482.34 available for projects * $36 Added to Club Supply fund from the ROPES at the Oaks rental. Balance $121.69
* Members qualifying for Merchandise Discount (> 1000pts): Frank Grimes 12980.84 Jason Poole 3807.12 Aaron Studer 2469.20 Ray Hill 1840.70 Rob Gibson 1522.00 Kevin Schramm 1453.20 Jesse Saenz 1399.60 Dean Bingham 1104.00 Thor Batchelor 1075.00 Patrick Johnson 1064.00
2) J-Town Invitational (Recap) * Thank to Kelly Murray for providing trophy paintings at no charge. * 24 participants * Report has been turned in and $48 paid to PDGA for player fees. * 6 Memberships Sold (4 New, 2 Renewal) * Rob Gibson and Aaron Studer will look into changing to a more traditional date of a weekend to hopefully attract more members to take advantage of this club perk. They will choose 3 dates and then the board will help decide which works best for all parties.
3) Handicap Singles League * 1st Session Ave 27/wk (22 Sanctioned) (39 Max-Channahon Short, 19 min-Highland White) * 2nd Session Avg 20/wk (18 Sanctioned) (24 Max-Channahon Short, 17 min-Channahon Long) * Overall Avg 24.5/wk (19.5 Sanctioned) * Third Session has been sanctioned to run from 8/6-9/24 (8 weeks)
a) Sign-in time * Getting started on time now, haven't turned anyone away. * Players money must be in and signed up at least 15 minutes prior to tee off * Will not hold up start time for anyone and if the player is then late its either par plus 4 PDGA ruling or they can take 999 for not playing but being registered.
b) Courses * Motion called to revert back to mirroring the JTown Doubles Wednesday night schedule for the third session of PDGA sanctioning starting 8/6/13 Motion passes 7-1-1 * New schedule will be drafted and implemented. * Facebook post to notify those who follow of the change.
5) Course Projects * Highland 15 retention wall completed using materials donated to Trinity Links. * Frank Grimes requested $12 for rebar to repair stairs and bridges at Community Park. Request granted pending receipts. 9-0-0
6) Tournament Pre-Registration * Tournament registration is now available through JTownDiscGolf.com. * Club collects $1.50 per registration towards the club supply fund. These funds can be used by TDs to offset club supply rental fees. * TDs interested in using this service please contact Jason Poole for details
7) Ice Bowl Prize Options: 50 SuperColor Discs from Discraft 1 Set of 50 Custom Little Flyer Bag Tags from Little Flyers 25 Custom Stamped Discs and 100 minis (3 inch stamp) from Gateway Disc Sports 20 Custom Stamped Discs and 75 minis (3 inch stamp) from Gateway Disc Sports 25 Stock stamped Discs (you choose them) and 50 stock-stamped minis from Gateway Disc Sports 1 Gateway Back Pack Bag and 50 stock-stamped minis from Gateway Disc Sports
* It was decided by the 9 members present to choose the option for 25 Custom Stamped Discs and 100 minis from Gateway. * Rob Gibson and Jason Poole will work on designs and ideas for the art work.
8 )Open Q&A * Ray Hill will put together a list of all courses in the area of who the course contact would be in the event members would like to inquire about running tournaments or events. * Aaron Studer brought forward a membership concern about the number of points being awarded for course work. Aaron Studer and Jason Poole will work out a more fair point factor for course work and look at other point factors to make sure points awarded are equal to the benefit added for our membership.
Post below to be put on the wait list for 31st Illinois State Disc Golf Championships (PDGA#, Name, Division). Since we won't know if any spots are going to open up until registration closes, you must be present at the close of registration with cash in hand. I will update this post with the current list.