WEEK 6 - May 6, 2015
A Dan Osysko Tribute
Daniel W. Osysko
February 8, 1989 - May 3, 2015
PDGA # 46256
Age 26 of Manhattan, passed away on Sunday, May 3rd, 2015.
An incredible sight was displayed at the funeral home. Hundreds and hundreds of friends and family lined up to pay their respects. It was breathtaking to see the line wrap around the entire inside of the building. It took over an hour to see him. The kid was loved by many.
Dan’s family was incredibly gracious to all who came and you can easily see where he gets his quality character traits that we all know and love.IN MEMORY
• As you all know league was cancelled last night, Wednesday May 6, in honor of the passing of our dearly loved friend Dan Osysko. “Dan is a dearly loved member of his disc golf family. He was a phenomenal player but an even better person and friend. He had the greatest personality and smile that would always lighten up the room. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his family and loved ones.”
“As many of you already know, we have lost not only a club member, but a brother and friend. Dan Osysko was a phenomenal golfer with a cannon for an arm and heart of gold. He was taken from us too soon, at the age of 26.”
“Dan O. was the shit!!! Miss that kid. We all love him mucho!”
“We will forever miss his kindness humor and charisma on and off the course. DanO wil always be missed but never forgotten.”
“Our deepest condolences and many prayers go out to the family. Keeping you in our hearts. DanO will be forever missed and always thought of.”
“The spirit around here won't be the same without you DanO... Gonna miss you a lot man.. "Too soon but the good lord knows...the reason why I guess.." Can't wait til we meet again. Rest in paradise big guy. Everyone misses you and loves you. Keep wangin' bro. Much love.”
• Dan’s good friend and fellow disc golfer Joe Witzl introduced him to the game.
• He was one of the new guys who helped out with the concrete teepads at Highland Park. From then on Dan & Joe became a major part of our Disc Golf Family.THE PLAYER
• Some say pound for pound he was the best player around and others say he had the most raw talent they ever seen. We all know he could throw extremely far with tremendous power. But regardless we also all knew what he was capable of doing on any given round of disc golf.
• On April 28 2013 Dan threw one of the most spectacular rounds ever witnessed by most players. A 44 from the long tees at Trinity Links! A PDGA 1061 rated round! Most feel it should of easily broke the 1100 rated category. A round that will probably never be touched. Either way that round is considered World Class!
• IL State 2014 Dan tied for first place. He ultimately lost in a playoff and took the second place finish like a true pro. In a true sportsmanship manner Dan graciously congratulated Justin Celmer on his victory.
• Ledgestone Insurance Open 2014 Dan takes 11th place and holds his own against some of the best in the world.
• At Trinity I remember everyone throwing at a pinata by the baseball diamond. Leo was moving the pinata up and down to make it harder to hit. So everyone was drilling the cage with vengeance missing the piñata. As guys kept throwing I can remember the distinctive sound the baseball cage was making only when Dan would throw. Leo instantly says yeah he has a little something extra on his throw. So his doubles highlight nickname became “Lil Sumpin Extra”THE TRIBUTE ROUND
After the ceremony around 40 plus of Dan’s closes friends went out to Trinity Links for a tribute round.
The grounds where soaked and somewhat muddy but nobody cared.
It started out around 10-15 players throwing on a hole and within several minutes it grew to around 40-plus of us all throwing and dedicating each hole and every throw to DanO.
What an amazing sight to see!
We had people from The City, Upstate, Downstate and Out of State. People throwing with no shoes, dress shoes and high heels. Players in suits, ties and slacks. We had young players, somewhat old players, men, women and even a pregnant woman all banning together playing a sport we love for someone we love even more. “A World Record for someone worthy of one, we had the biggest dubs, trips, quintets round ever! Thank you DanO for some of the most smiley moments ever. Forever smiling!”
Please add your memories of Dan at this linkhttp://jtowndiscgolf.com/SMF1/index.php?topic=1074.0RIP Dan “Li’l Sumpin Extra” Osysko
Thanks to everyone who contributed their words to this.
See You Later,